Saturday 7 March 2009

Watchmen






I'm finding this movie particularly hard to review, it's such a complex movie, and quite incomparable to other movies...
If you are dead sick of the usual Hollywood movies, and are dying for something original, I think you've come to the perfect place, and you can jack the rating up to about a 4 Star or even a 5.
The movie certainly comes across to me as being a thinker's movie, and discusses some pretty hardcore philosophical subjects. But also scattered throughout is some great no-brainer fight sequences...
I'd have to recommend you read the book before you view the movie, as I went without previouly reading the book, and found the storyline a bit too disjointed.
I went to the cinema hoping to see something quite simular to 300, as it is the same director, but it's something quite different, but nevertheless, I think they chose the perfect director for the movie... I still prefer 300, but that's just my own personal preference...


Synopsis


"Watchmen" is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity... but who is watching the Watchmen?"
Written by T-Hen


Starring: Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Patrick Wilson Directed by: Zack Snyder


Fantasy Take


Some great characters, quite original, but I reckon, like my previous review of Franklyn, that this movie is just perhaps a little too weird and doesn't make enough sense...


Storyline: 2 Stars


I think this movie could have a great story if it were a little bit easier to watch for the general viewer... Storline's just a little too disjointed for my liking...


Graphics: 5 Stars


Superb graphics, you really need to watch the movie to understand how good these graphics are!


Acting: 3 Stars


All reletively unknown actors... They did pretty well though...


Music: 2 Stars


There were one or two great musical moments, but there were a few parts where I just didn't think the music conveyed the right emotions...
There is also one little annoying part where the music seemed to tell the audience that the movie was over when there was about half an hour yet to go, conveying a false ending, which repulsed my senses to the real ending.


Emotions: 3 Stars


There are some pretty emotional parts in this movie, but it's not the selling feature...


Action: 4 Stars


Like in 300, Zack Snyder is well able to carry out some great action sequences, and for folks like me who enjoy a bit of blood and gore with their movie, you are in for a treat!
Random Observation
Mr Manhatten's penis is bigger than mine!


Conclusion


Although there are some great parts to this movie, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, just to people that are dying for something new and different!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really liked it a lot, but I'm a fan of the comic. I thought when I was watching that it was probably a bit out there for the average viewer. I suggest reading it, it's a great read! Also, keep your eyes open for the extended version, it might make more sense.

Targetted Ads

Free Advertising